Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Murky legal waters

After weeks of stressing about the legal problems of living and parenting in Michigan, we finally get some promising news.

Two Michigan family/gay rights lawyers contacted me today, minutes after I emailed them. One has children with her wife and, therefore, some personal experience. She was optimistic about second-parent adoption changes. The other was even more helpful and said that if we fill out the paperwork they way we intend; with me as the patient and Wife as the surrogate, we could both be legally declared parents! He says he's done it before with no adoption necessary! This makes me wonder if we could turn this declaration into a pre-birth order and get us both on the birth certificate?! We are still looking into possibly birthing in Iowa if necessary. I might ask him to find a colleague in Iowa if the pre-birth order thing falls through.

Also, optimistically awaiting DOMA...

No comments:

Post a Comment