Friday, October 18, 2013

New frontier of blogging

Since releasing my blog on Facebook I have had an overwhelming response. My page views went from about 65 total (mostly all me and probably a few spyders) to over 1500 in 24 hours!  I'm awed and glad. Part of the reason for me releasing it was to answer questions that everyone has even if they don't know it. I am happy to see people sharing my blog on their wall but it's also kinda terrifying!  Thankfully all the responses on the blog and FB have been very favorable and that has definitely made the decision to share easier. However, a part of me feels as if I have lost my black hole of privacy to scream obscenities into.  Because of that I have debated about today's post. About if I should talk about what has been running around my head and how much I should share. Needless to say there are some aspects of my life, orientation and identity that are still very private and so I struggle with which to share now and which to withhold, despite my desire to educate.  So a different experience all together. 

We'll see how far we get. 

Breastfeeding. Normal pregnancy topic no?  Clearly as a medical provider I am very pro-breastfeeding.  I mean, it's free, it's a weight loss program, it comes in awesome packages and it's a perfect compound of nutrition and antibodies! What's not to love?!  

Normally a mother has two boobs, one baby. This lends to the thought process that two babies would need four boobs. Hey look! We've got four boobs. Problem is, most healthy women can't spontaneously lactate on command. So I jumped on the internet and look for solutions for "inducing lactation without being pregnant". Would you believe there is a huge void of medical knowledge regarding this topic. In fact, it's not really considered kosher for any kind of medically induced lactation. What there IS a huge amount of information about is in the....umm... Special interest community?  I shit you not a majority of the websites that come up have nothing to do with babies but are how-to guides for "couples lactation"...  And, as it turns out, they were exceedingly helpful. 

Unfortunately, after quite a bit of research an some soul searching, it turns out I am NOT ok with the idea of breastfeeding.  I think it stems from the same part of me that has NO desire to be pregnant even though I want progeny. So after a serious conversation with Wife, of which she was fantastically supportive, we've decided each child will have to do with their own personal, singular boob.  Hopefully both boobs will be up to the task because if not I'm going to feel like a shitty mom if I can't step up to the plate. 

In other news OB appt today went well! No US :-( but we got to hear both heart beats. 144 and 132 for baby A and B! Never get tired of that!!  Maybe if work goes well Wife can come to work and we can get some pictures!! :-). Otherwise I have the weekend off and we might find a way. 

2 comments:

  1. If things don't go as hoped with your wife and breastfeeding, do NOT feel like a shitty mom because you chose not to. Doing the right thing for yourself, is just as important as it is for the babies. Nursing is hard, nursing 2 babies is REALLY hard. There are plenty of ways you can support your wife and the babies through the breastfeeding process without actually nursing yourself.

    ReplyDelete