Friday, April 26, 2013

Don't mess with Momma bear

Yesterday started off like a normal day. Shopping for clothes for a family wedding this summer, etc.

Wife's procedure was schedule for today so we wanted to call and make sure everything was 'in order' and to confirm our medications. I was schedule to start medications today and we wanted to make sure that I did not start until after her procedure.

Quickly into the conversation it became apparent that there had been a miscommunication, or non communication. I ha started my period earlier than they had anticipated and the nurse was suddenly concerned we might have missed our window for starting medications.

Suddenly we are making an impromptu stop to the office on the way into work. A quick blood draw and ultrasound later and she tells my ovaries are 'exactly what we like to see' with six follicles already! She assures me this does not mean we will only get 6 eggs!

What started as a relatively pleasant, down-right relieving appointment quickly soured.

In apparent small talk the nurse asked if we had a chance to talk with the lawyer she had recommended. We stated we had and briefly relayed our disappointing and uninformative conversation we had with the lawyer.

Here is where things went bad. To make a long, very painful conversation, short, she basically made some very overt discriminatory remarks, and then threatened to hold our embryos hostage. She stated that unless we provided her with a signed document from us and a lawyer stating SOMETHING and she wasn't even sure WHAT it needed to say, she was going to 'keep your embryos frozen 'until this all gets sorted out'.

I asked her if she asked all her couples to sign these affidavits. She stated 'oh yes I've had three we far'. This caused me to ask if she'd only had three surrogate cases, or only 3 egg donor cases. She says 'of course not, we've had dozens'. When I asked why only three were asked to sign affidavits, she stated 'well in special cases like yours'. I asked her a few times to explain 'special cases'. This appear to confuse her because she hemmed and hawed quite a bit until Wife stated 'I think she means same-sex honey'. The look on her face confirmed this. I stated to her. 'So you are discriminating against us because we are a same sex couple'. She says 'of course I'm not discriminating, that's not what I'm talking about'. To which I stated 'if you are threatening to hold my unborn babies hostage until I sign for you, a form that you only require same-sex couples to sign, then, yes, that's discrimination'.

This went on for a few more minutes and then she continued to back peddle and informed me 'I don't want to speak for the doctor, that's not what I'm doing. Maybe I should call him now". I told her she should probably do that and we promptly left as I was late for work.

About 40 minutes later the nurse called Wife. She notably did not apologize for her behavior or words, but she did state that our doctor had no reservations and we were still done to go ahead. In fact, I was to start meds that afternoon. So now, we are almost back to our original schedule!

Wife brought my meds to work and I, as covertly as possible, have them to myself. I had no problems with the injection itself. About 1-2 hours later I developed the most severe headache of my life. And nauseated, and a hot flash. Good lord. It took several hours before I got enough medications in me to calm that raging migraine. I looked up the meds Brevette and Menopur and they each have SEVERAL mentions as headaches and migraines being side effects. AWESOME!
At least it's only 10 days of These meds. I can do anything for 10 days!


No comments:

Post a Comment