Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Set Back

Today we both had our ultrasounds to "check the real estate" as my wife says.  The good news is: I have a fantastic uterus (not that we are using it but good to know its healthy).  The bad news:  my wife's ovaries are not in very good shape (not that we are planning on using them) and her uterus itself looked fine, but her cervix is totally closed and he couldn't pass a catheter into the uterus.  This will become a problem when he tries to implant the embryos because there is no way to get the embryos "IN".

Good news:  Better we find out now, before we have embryos sitting in a petri dish looking for a home.  Bad news:  Wife is going to have to have a surgical procedure to open up the cervix so there is a way to get the embryos in their new home.

Wife was pretty devastated.  No one wants to hear that they are less than perfect.  No one wants to hear that their body is broken.  I feel bad.  I feel bad that I'm secretly relieved that the parts we want still work.  I know that I would feel worse if we found out her uterus would not work at all.  I don't know that I would be able to step up and carry, even knowing that it would be much much cheaper.  I feel bad because I'm secretly relieved that my ovaries look "fantastic" and I know I would be absolutely devastated if we couldn't use my eggs.  I feel like a bad person for having these feelings.  Like it shouldn't matter.  But that's why we are perfect.  We want what the other person wants, or in this case, what the other person doesn't want.

So now we have to push our meds back a few days.  Not enough to alter our harvest or implantation date.  I've been assured.  But just enough so they can do the procedure.

So.  April 19th Wife gets big injection of Lupron, apparently this will prevent her from making eggs and help make her body ready for her other medications.

April 23rd the dilation and then we start my medications!  Watch out world I'm about to get hormonal!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment